Silver Dollar Liquor Store
New 6pks in stock
Alaskan Brewing Winter
-ale brewed with spruce tips
Avery Brewing Old Jubilation
-Christmas ale brewed with five specialty malts
Firestone Walker Pivo
-a hoppy Pils
-velvety winter stout
Great Divide Hibernation Ale
-english style old ale
Odell Brewing Isolation Ale
-sweet caramel malty ale
-double black IPA
Uinta Brewing Bristlecone
New Bombers in stock
Avery Brewing DuganA
-brutally bitter, dank, piney and resinous IPA
-grand cru ale weighing in at 16.1% abv
-new in the Barrel-Aged Series this imperial stout aged in rum barrels has an abv of 18.82%
-limit one per person
Deschutes Brewery Black Butte XXVI
-26th Birthday Reserve
Odell Brewing 180 Shilling
-a double version of their popular 90 Shilling
Ska Brewing Cru D’etat
-wild in the streets ale
Stone Brewing Anniversary IPA
-made using only El Dorado hops
The Bruery Tart of Darkness
-sour stout aged in oak barrels
Help the Pagosa Brewing Company crew pick Fresh Hops for their annual "Wet-Hopped" Hop Crop Amber Ale on Thursday, September, 18, from 7-10 am. Pick hops right off the bine, get free breakfast and beers, and sample "Wet Hopped" Cask Ale.
Woohoo! See you at Pagosa Brewing Company tomorrow morning if you can make it.
Noted Colorado beer author Dan Rabin visits Pagosa Springs tomorrow to promote and sign his latest book, Colorado Breweries: A Comprehensive Guide to the Breweries of Colorado. Dan has a vast knowledge of Colorado breweries and beyond and he'll sell and sign his book Thursday, September 4, 2014, at 5 pm at Pagosa Brewing Company. You shouldn't miss out on a chance to chat with Dan and get his great guidebook.
Check out more information on Dan's book at http://coloradobreweriesbook.com/.
Hiya HOPS Heads,
We had a great meeting this week at the Coyote Moon in Pagosa Springs and had the opportunity to taste some mighty fine American Pale Ales (APAs). Many of you know this style via the definitive beer in the subcategory, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. This iconic beer highlights the Cascade hop and helped vault the American craft beer movement into prominence in the early 1980's.
We sampled a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale among a few others at our meeting Tuesday, July 22. Beers in the APA style, BJCP category 10A, tend to be well balanced hoppy beers with good supporting malt. To learn more about the APA style, check out http://bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php#1a, and check out the list below of the beers we sampled.
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico, CA
- Bridal Veil Rye Pale Ale: Telluride Brewing Company, Telluride, CO
- Sweetgrass APA: Grand Teton Brewing Company, Victor, ID
- St. Lupulin Extra Pale Ale: Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, CO
Coming up at the August meeting on August 25, we'll step it up a notch on the hops and dive into India Pale Ales, BJCP category 14 (http://bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php). Prepare to bring an interesting array of English, American and Imperial IPAs if your color group is responsible for beer in August.
You might have an interest in a few upcoming beer events, including a homebrew competition and some fun festivals. Check out the list of a few events below for more information and keep hopping along!
- Archuleta County Fair Homebrew Competition: Pagosa Springs, CO, Thursday, July 31; turn in entries Wednesday, July 31, between 1 and 8 pm at the Archuleta County CSU Extension Building at the Fairgrounds off Highway 84 and Mill Creek Road; no fee to enter and you'll have your homebrew judged by certified judges...more info at http://archuletacountyfair.com/exhibitor-rules-and-regulations/
- San Juan Brewfest: Durango, CO, Saturday, Aug. 23...more info at http://sanjuanbrewfest.com/
- Ska Anniversary Party: Durango, CO, Saturday, Sept. 6...more info at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/720721
- Bands, Brews, Etc.: Pagosa Springs, CO, Saturday, Sept. 20...more info at http://pagosasprings.whattodo.info/Pagosa-Springs-Co/Events/Pagosa-Springs-Community-Events/Bands-Brews-Etc---2014-ColorFest/59932/
Let's get together for the 2014 Big Brew for National Homebrew Day to make some beer on Saturday, May 3, from 10 am - 3 pm, at Pagosa Brewing Company. Bring your homebrew equipment and yourself if you'd like to make a batch with other homebrewers. If you don't have equipment and just have an interest in homebrew or beer in general, come on out and share in the camaraderie, too.
Check out more information for the 2014 Big Brew for National Homebrew Day event below, including the official recipes for the event. You can brew the official Pale Ale, Stout or Schwarzbier recipes or brew something else on your own. Pagosa Brewing will provide water for brewing and beer and food will be available for purchase. Hope to see you there on Saturday and contact us with any questions.
You can view event detials at http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=1660. Note the date is incorrect on the event and should say May 3. See you on Saturday morning!
HOPS Head Organizers
- HOPS Meeting, Jan 28th, 6:00 - This month's HOPS meeting will be held at Wolfe Brewing Co at 2045 Eagle Drive on top of Putt Hill in the old Cool Water Plumbing building next door to the office supply store. Bring a Belgian beer to share or some homebrewed whatevers. If you have extra chairs and folding tables please bring them along since we have a big, open floor to fill. Also, there is no kitchen yet so please either eat before hand or bring some snacks along. PLEASE NOTE - Being the first of the year it is that happy time that we start collecting dues again. More on that below.
DUES FUN - Now that we need to find a place to rent I suppose the Dues money may mean more than it used to! We will keep the same rates for now: $20 per person for the year or $25 for a couple for the year. For those that do not want to / don't have the dough to sign up right away, we do ask for a $5 donation to the club for the tasting. As acting president (emphasis on the acting part) and Debra Sandoval as Treasurer, you can get with either of us and we'll get you on "The List", whatever "The List" is and wherever it may be... ;-)
Upcoming Styles of the Month - Below are the styles that we will be going over for the next few months. As mentioned above, the location of the meeting is TBD, but I will keep spamming you with updates as they come in.
January - Belgian Beers
February - Stouts
March - Marzen / Lagers
April - TBD - Bring your ideas!
May - TBD - Bring your ideas!
Hiya HOPS heads,